- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 ½ tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp ground all spice
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ½ tsp ground nutmeg
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 1/3 cup honey
- ½ cup organic brown sugar (substitute rapadura or maple syrup)
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup pumpkin puree
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 fair trade, organic dark chocolate bar, smashed into bits
- turbinado sugar to garnish
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- In a large bowl, whisk the dry ingredients. Flour, baking powder, all spice, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, cream together the butter and brown sugar at a medium speed. Add the egg, vanilla extract, and honey until incorporated; then, add the pumpkin puree and peanut butter until mixed through.
- Lower the speed of your stand mixer and gently add in the flour mixture until just incorporated.
- Slowly add the chocolate bits until just mixed through.
- Spoon dough onto cookie sheets with a tablespoon.
- Sprinkle with turbinado sugar.
- Bake for 12-15 minutes or until the edges start turning golden brown.
- Let cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire cooling rack to cool completely.
- Store in an airtight container for up to a week.
Adapted from My Humble Kitchen